Native American: Beyond Land Acknowledgment
The practice of Indigenous land acknowledgment is growing in popularity. You may have seen a land acknowledgment delivered at a conference, concert, or public gathering. In Beyond Land Acknowledgment, staff from Native Governance Center will explain what land acknowledgment is and why it’s important to go beyond a simple statement. They’ll walk you through the action planning approach, equipping you with tools you can use to make an impact either individually or in your workplace setting. Expect an interactive and engaging presentation filled with real-life examples. Attendees will be asked to participate in live polling through Mentimeter and a Q&A session. By the end of this session, you’ll understand:
- What Indigenous land acknowledgment is and why it can be problematic as a standalone practice
- Why it’s important to go beyond land acknowledgment
- How to create an action plan that’s impactful, straightforward, and demonstrates your commitment to supporting Indigenous people
- How to share the plan with your stakeholders and make sure it stays current
- Where to go for more information on the topic
The event is geared toward beginners and open to all: come with your questions! Attendees will participate in breakout sessions and a live Q&A with the presenters.
Instructor is from the Native Governance Center: Native Governance Center is a Native-led nonprofit dedicated to assisting Native nations in strengthening their governance systems and capacity to exercise sovereignty.