White Bear Beach’s Sophie Wirth Camp
Sophie Wirth Camp, located in White Bear Lake, was the first Jewish camp in Minnesota. It was open from 1911 to 1943 and was sponsored by the St. Paul Council of Jewish Women. As the first kosher camp in the northwest, it was originally named the Lake Rest Vacation Home camp; when the camp was consolidated in 1923 by Neighborhood House, the name was changed to Camp Sophie Wirth in honor of Neighborhood House’s founder. Children were sent to Sohie Wirth for learning the Jewish faith, but also for fun and recreation.